Monday, July 11, 2011

big news!!

I'm leaving in a month to teach English in Taiwan. I've been looking for jobs abroad ever since I stumbled upon various blogs detailing their amazing life overseas. I don't know about the others but I had a really hard time getting one. I read a lot of the forums and people are always saying with a bachelors degree you have a better advantage even if you don't have a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA (various english teaching certificates). I really didn't want to put down a thousand or so on some courses if I wasn't guaranteed a job. I really think race has a lot to do with it in this job market because in the Asia countries I'm looking to work in, Caucasian faces are associated with better English skills. They always ask for you to send a current picture of yourself before they even contact you for interviews. On one hand I get it because if I wanted to learn Chinese I would look for a Chinese person. On the other it is super frustrating to not get the job and have the same qualities as a million other college graduates. I honestly considered sending in two of the same cover letters and resumes but with different racial pictures just to see if I was just making a big deal out of nothing. Most jobs actually require no teaching experience so it will be interesting to see how it all works out but at least most schools offer some time to teach you their methods. I recommend Dave's ESL Cafe if anyone is interested in teaching abroad.

The whole process for getting my job actually happened a couple months ago when I was still in SD. I was offered a job then but they were offering a part time position with a considerable lower pay. Someone on the forums told me that the school gave someone not of Caucasian origins lower pay for the same amount of hours. Well that was already a warning sign but I managed to get offered the full time better paying job position but someone was picked first because the other person had all their reference letters sent in before mine. Well I thought that was all over and  I would prob never hear from them again. But then a couple days ago the principal sent me a letter asking if I was still interested and that they had a position open but they needed me very soon. Even though I really don't like that whole racist thing going on with the pay wages, beggers can't be choosers and so I ended up canceling my flight to London and booking a one-way flight to Taipei, Taiwan. I still have to process my visa and get my diploma authenticated. I'm grateful I live in SF where most consulate offices reside unlike San Diego where I would have to drive 2 hours to LA just to get things done. I'm really looking forward to being in a different country and experiencing a new thing and being all adventurous. I also feel kinda sad just because I haven't been home for so long where I'm already super frustrated and now I won't be able to spend as much time with my friends and family when I thought I had all the time in the world. Of course everyone is moving on with their lives and I'm sooooo glad to finally see me not bumming around and actually doing something. This wasn't what I had planned at all when I entered college and I actually laughed when I was in high school at the suggestion that I would be a teacher. I'm going to love having to slow down my speech so that the Taiwanese kiddies can understand what I'm saying! At least now my blog will be more adventurous and not be about stuff that everyone already knows and expects :P

3 comments:

  1. a. why didn't you tell me about this good news immediately!?!??!
    b. did they fine you for canceling your london flight?
    c. i am so surprised and happy for you at the same time. traveling and seeing the world! man, remember when we would talk about teaching and living abroad and out of the two of us, you are going to do it first!
    d. how are you going to pack all your scrap-booking stuff in to bring to taiwan LOL.
    e. we so have to continue our emailing method like we did in vietnam
    f. i miss you already lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol! Vinnie here. ^^

    I'm so happy for you! I'm with you on the whole "I never thought I'd be a teacher" thing. The idea just kind of pops up in your mind randomly one day despite years of thinking it would never happen and then suddenly, you're stressing over applications.

    And sweet! Since you're in Taiwan, what say you and I try to meet up on this side of the world? I'm going to be in Japan for another year. Please come visit me if you have time. And yes, learn to speak very very slowly and repeat things at least twice. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew WeissmanJuly 15, 2011 at 5:35 AM

    OMG yay! I'm super excited for you! I'm going to be following your blog throughout your adventure!

    ReplyDelete