Sunday, August 28, 2011

beipu: hakka temple and hakka food

painted doors of temple

Hakk temples are very elaborate with carved dragons on the roofs and very brightly colored. In Hakka temples there are these two red moon pieces that when you make a wish you throw it to see if your wish is granted. In order for your wish to be granted, the red pieces need to be flipped opposite of each other. One piece needs to be upright and the other upside down. If you don't get it your first time you are suppose to do it over and over and beg the Goddess to grant your wish.

i got my firsh wish right away! the other red piece is next to the table with the yellow cloth
Next thing we did was try some authentic Hakka food at a restaurant.

pork intestines with ginger
At first I thought this was squid because I saw circular rings like you see in calamari. When I ate it, it was rubbery and full of ginger flavor. When I asked what it was, Alice told me it was pork intestines. The large intestines to be exact. I gotta make sure I ask what the food is after I've already finished eating it. Alice is Hakka and she told me that this dish is a favorite amongst the Hakka people, everyone loves it. It wasn't bad but I don't like the rubbery texture or how gingery it tastes.

veggies with white ginger
I don't know what kind of veggies this is but it was good. Again some more ginger. Hakka people love to use their ginger. Instead of using take out boxes, Alice put the extra food in plastic bags and then just carried it out. Haha so ghetto.

3 comments:

  1. pork intestine is so good though lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLLLLLL YEAAAAH HAKKA PEOPLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EWWWWW! YOU ATE PIG INTESTINES?!?!? YOU MIGHT AS WELL GO EAT A DOG!

    ReplyDelete