Tuesday, September 6, 2011

apartment hunting and costco in taiwan...

If you've been reading my blog you should know I've been living with my boss at her apartment. Her apartment is actually pretty nice except for the fact that I have no internet in my room and can't use the kitchen or living room. I'm sure she would let me but its just super awkward for me even though she is really nice. Anyways I've been on the hunt for an apartment and people have been very helpful in helping me out. Chad, a fellow teacher, took me to Hsinchu to see apartments where the crowd is definitely younger than the people in Zhudong. He was telling the agent that I needed to live next to young single men who made money. Haha so funny, good thing there are so many engineers in that area.

this was the one i wanted
So I was basically looking at "studios" except no kitchen. So more like its what an ideal dorm room would be with just a fridge and your own bathroom. Studio places that are furnished usually come with a bed, refrigerator, dresser, desk, chair, tv and most importantly an air condition unit. The newer places where I was looking at the rent usually includes, cable, internet, water and trash so the only thing I would need to pay by myself would be electricity. Unfortunately I didn't get the above place because Alice was going to show me some places in Zhudong. By the time I finished with her which was 2 hours or so the place was already taken. I don't think in Taiwan there's the concept of "thinking" it over. It's more like if you want it you better put a deposit down to hold it or its gonna be gone in the blink of an eye....

I wanted to show pictures of how big a Costco in Taiwan can get which is pretty massive two floors. But everyone knows how a Costco looks like. What bugs me is what happens at food sampling stations...

they form a line!!
Ugh the worst things about the Taiwan Costco is that people form lines at the food stations!! Not only do they form lines but they will literally wait there before the food is even ready to get at the free food. This annoyed me to no end because I loved food sample stations in America where I could walk pass and swipe some food and then walk back again later and get some more free samples. With a line I couldn't do this and I left Costco feeling hungry which never happens when there are food stations. I was seriously considering just going pass and taking food and just pretending to be an ignorant American but I was with fellow co-workers and I'm sure that would have shamed them...Also another disappointing thing, Costco stuff isn't all that cheap. Maybe its because I'm looking at American brands or something but that stuff is pricy here! Those Philippine Mangos that are super awesome and can only be bought from Costco are way more expensive here even though the Philippines is closer to Taiwan than it is to America...

1 comment:

  1. i can't believe they formed a line when asian people are famous for not knowning how to form lines. what has the world turned into? it's funny because americans would form lines at everything but never at costo sample stations. maybe life is that different on the otherside of the globe haha

    ReplyDelete