Monday, September 26, 2011

a day in taipei!!

What are potstickers? Potstickers are potstickers! I was thinking how different can potstickers be from the ones I've had at home. Boy was I wrong...

potstickers and soymilk
Potstickers are skinny here! Not at all like the round ones I've made and eaten at home. The darker colored one contains korean flavored meat. The potsticker didn't actually taste like korean bbq meat but was very yummy and spicy. The less dark one is just pork meat and wasn't that great. Always drinking soy milk with every meal. I still think the soy milk could be sweeter.

Took a bus from Hsinchu to Taipei. We got the student price so a one way ticket cost $105 NT. The first stop is the Hsing Tian Temple which is devoted to Guan Yu.

Hsing Tian Temple aka Xingtian Temple
Guan Yu is depicted as a red-faced bushy black beard general. Apparently his stories are passed down in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. If you're Asian enough you should know this story! There were a lot of people there waiting in line for "monks" that would sweep sticks of incense all around the person's body to cleanse the person's body.


Outside the temple there is an underground passage filled with fortune-tellers. I didn't go down since I didn't shake the sticks and didn't really want my future be told again. Did that in Hong Kong and looked where that turned out...

Being a super tourist I had to hit up all the touristy spots. The next place to visit was the National Dr. Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall. This place was super boring and its actually like a bunch of galleries and auditoriums and stuff. I only went to see the the bronze statue of Sun Yat-sen. Outside the building there were a whole bunch of dance crews or just students hanging out and practicing their dancing which was kinda cool.

sun yat-sen statue
Doesn't this statue remind you of another famous one in America? Right in front of this statue was a honor guard that stands immobile. They change every hour but this place was so boring I left as soon as I took a picture. One great thing about the location of this place is the amazing view it has of the Taipei 101.

taipei 101
The Taipei 101 building is the second tallest building in the world. I didn't have a chance to check out the building or the view from the observation view. I will try to do it next time. The next stop was Liberty Square which contains the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, National Theater, National Concert Hall, and the Liberty Square Main Gate.

National Theater, Main Gate and the National Concert Hall
Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall
Inside it there was another giant statue with an honor guard. One of the guards was standing in the sun and he was sweating badly. I felt so bad for them because they didn't have any air conditioning unlike the honor guard in the other memorial hall.

1 comment:

  1. no pictures/posts about your little scooter yet??

    ReplyDelete