Wednesday, November 16, 2011

teppanyaki

While my sister was in Taiwan, one of my co-teachers treated her to some teppanyaki. I had no idea what teppanyaki was but my sister was raving about how good it was. Had the chance to eat at a teppanyaki place near my house this past weekend. Teppanyaki is a form of Japanese cuisine that uses an iron griddle to cook the food. When I went to the restaurant I realize that was the cooking style Benihana in America uses, except they do a lot of fancy tricks and stuff.  I've never had Benihana because I always thought it was too expensive so its nice to be in Taiwan and have access to the cheaper variations.

teppanyaki
I ordered a set that included pork with garlic, fish and shrimp. Each set includes soup, rice, salad, cooked veggies, dessert and drinks. Mine cost $299 NT and is on the higher spectrum of Taiwanese food costs.
pork with garlic and veggies in the background
The biggest portion of meat was the pork with garlic but in my opinion that was the most disappointing of them all. The dish was alright but there was nothing that stood out about it.

fish and shrimp
The main reason I ordered this set was for the shrimp. I really didn't want the fish since I didn't know how it would turn out or what kind of fish they would use. However I was glad I got this set because the fish and the shrimp was delicious. The chef sprinkled pepper and squeezed some lime over the fish and the shrimp. The fish was super tender and flavorful. Towards the end of the meal in addition to the cooked cabbage, the chef also dumped a huge portion of bean sprouts to our plates. This set had too much food. Next time I would order a smaller set with just the fish instead of having a combo of three. I like how even though this meal was super expensive it included all these other things and is still way cheaper than teppanyaki at Benihanas.

The Details
Wey Tyan Teppan-yaki
No. 29 Jin-Shan Street, Hsinchu
tel: (03) 5786538 
M-S 11:00-14:00,17:00-22:00

No comments:

Post a Comment