Sunday, January 1, 2012

a teaching obligation

So as part of my contract I'm required to work some weekend events. Well on the 18th, the school had their annual reading competition. Besides the early wake up time, I was actually pretty excited for this event because my kids were working really to do well in the competition. This excitement died down as the competition proceeded... Every kid who entered the competition were given three readings to practice with. Each class level had different readings. Well some of the readings were super ridiculous like for a reading level 2 which has kids who are like 8-10, they had to say the word carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, etc. These are words kids who don't speak English as their native language need to say?!? Kids in America aren't even exposed to these kinds of words. All in all whoever picked the readings was kind of crazy, it wasn't any of the English teachers. Anyways before each level group had to read, the hosts would pick the reading for the entire group.

The English teachers were the judges but I got the role of proctor. I was basically suppose to help any kids who just stopped reading or paused to long. Well this is where it all started going downhill... I was given a small, kindergarden chair to sit in, placed right in front of the judges desk but not close enough to the stage that any of the kids could hear me. I was literally sitting in that little small cramped chair for hours with my longs having no place to go. Not only that but the kids couldn't even hear me when I tried to help them and when they did hear me they would look shocked and get all confused, like whose speaking to me. Ugh it was irritating. In addition to that when they introduced the English teachers, they literally didn't even mention my name. At this point I was super annoyed. I don't get why I was put in the proctor position because I wasn't the newest teacher there and it makes me feel this has something to do with the fact that I don't look like a foreigner...

Well I had 17 kids enter the competition and 8 of them won awards! The top 5 winners in each level got awards, first place received a trophy and the other four got plaques. I was so happy for my kids and one of them even got first place! About 200 students entered from all three schools and Erchong, my school, had the most winners at 31. I think our school only had around 70 participants so I think that was a pretty big coup!

first place kevin and third place iris
At the competition I kept trying to chase down my students to take pictures of me. Most of them were reluctant to do so or tried to run away. Haha. I felt like I was some crazy pedophile or something when I'm just a teacher whose proud of their students.

me and rosa
Haha one of the slow ones who couldn't manage to get away. To congratulate all my students who worked to hard for the competition, I spent over $300 NT buying a bunch of snacks to make goody bags for them. What an awesome teacher! Lol. I only posted this picture because Agnes mentioned that I never post any pictures with my face in it. :P

For breakfast I bought these potato fries at 7-11. Didn't realize that they were ketchup flavored. I would not buy these again, the ketchup flavor was super strong and it was just an unappealing mix of salty and tomato tang. Blegh!

potato fries and mentos
Also at 7-11 I spotted these differently wrapped Mentos. I realized that the fruit mentos we have in America only have three flavors. This rainbow wrapper Mentos contains 7 flavors, two for each color. Some flavors that I've never had before were grape, pineapple, and some kind of berry. I knew Mentos made whole sticks of different flavors like apple, watermelon and cola but I didn't know they had such a range of different flavors. Pretty sweet find!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, you never post pics of yourself! Ketchup flavor sounds disgusting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carol. You don't know me, but I just found your blog tonight when I was looking for info about how buses work in Zhudong. I read one blog post of yours and ended up reading for 2 hours. ...your posts were just that interesting.

    Anyway, I'm a teacher at the same school you taught at in Hsinchu, and have been doing so for 3 months now. After reading a bunch of your posts, I feel a lot better about a lot of things that has happened over here so far. I also feel like I arrived here a year too late; you seem like a very chill person and one I would have gotten along with swimmingly. Anyway... thanks for the blog posts. A lot of it, I think will come in handy in the near future.

    hope you're doing well,

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete