Wednesday, February 1, 2012

running away from the rain...

I guess I should tell anyone who plans to visit me that my air conditioning unit is outside my apartment and that when it rains, the water hitting the air conditioning unit is magnified and the sound rebounds all over the place, making the rain sound super loud. This is what Erica had to face all Saturday night as the rain didn't let down at all and continued through Sunday. When I woke up I really didn't want to leave my nice dry room to face the crazy downpour outside. Of course Erica guilt-tripped me and made me sound like a bad host if we wasted a whole day inside so we bundled up and took a trip to Taipei. The Zhuzhong station is connected to the HSR by the Liujia line, a seven minute ride, and it costs $15 NT one way. Previously the only way I could get to and from the HSR station was to take a taxi which cost $200-$300 NT.

When we arrived in Taipei, there wasn't a hint of rain! That really sucks because we looked up the weather online and there was a high chance of rain in Taipei too so we had to change our plans. Originally I had wanted to bring Erica to Wulai to go dip in some hotsprings and bone up on some aboriginal culture. Really hate the unreliable weather. Grabbed lunch at Macho Tacos in Taipei, again following the recommendations of hungrygirl. I ordered three tacos for $160 NT which is a better deal since meat tacos cost from $55-60 NT a piece.


Although hungrygirl strongly recommended this place, I would not go back for these tacos again. I believe the tortillas are made in the restaurant and they tasted really nasty. The meat was chewy and wasn't very flavorful. I also wished their salsa had more jalapenos to give it a kick instead of just being tomatoes and onions. There was also no hot sauce which would have been greatly appreciated since the salsa wasn't spicy. Erica got the burrito bowl and she said the cilantro rice wasn't that awesome but everything else was decent. The Yanji location is very small and was filled with foreigners when we arrived. Since we were close by I brought Erica to Chao Zhou Bao Zi to try the cheese and pork baos but they were closed! Mogoo popcorn was still open and this time I brought a tub of American Original and a tub of Cheese flavor popcorn. Erica bought a bag of seaweed or wasabi flavored popcorn, I'm not sure since we couldn't read Chinese but its green. I have since been informed that the green flavored popcorn is green tea.


Finally had a partner in crime to do some shopping with me. I desperately needed new clothes since I only bought a couple of outfits to Taiwan. We headed over to the Wufenpu Apparel Shopping District which is a wholesale garment market. This explains why there were people buying clothes in bulk. Erica wanted to buy these two scarves and we waited 30 minutes for the woman who basically wanted to buy everything in the freaking score. I was on the hunt for some shoes but the shoes here were more expensive than ones I've seen in Hsinchu. This place is super crowded and if a fire occurred here I'm sure we would have died. There was a lot of jostling and trying to squeeze past little food vendors who thought it was a great idea to set up their cart in the middle of a narrow pathway. Shops went on and on as far as the eye could see and each store had different product that you might not necessarily find in another store so make sure to remember landmarks to find your way back. After some hardcore shopping we went to eat at Cheese Davids, a philly cheese steak joint, in Ximendeng. The menu is in both Chinese and English.


We both ordered a the Cheese steak Meal which cost $195 NT and comes with fries and a drink. I upgraded my fries to cheese fries so my meal came out to be a little over $200 NT.


The steak was decent but I wished mine had more cheese. Besides the nacho cheese that is used there is also a thin spread of ketchup, the sweet taste made the sandwich taste weird. The fries here are really good, both the regular fries and the ones with cheese. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here again but it wasn't bad. I miss the Philly Cheese Steaks we used to make at Summit. I could make a way better one with some Swiss cheese, mushrooms, and onions. Followed up dinner with a visit to Yu's Almond Tofu where Erica ordered the almond milk while I ordered the almond tofu with a side of almond milk in a pouch. My order is the most popular item at Yu's but I should have just ordered the tofu (jello) since I just gave my milk to Erica and it cost more.


I mentioned some of these locations like Mogoo Popcorn and Yu's Almond Tofu in prior posts so information pertaining to them can be found here and here respectively.

The Details
Macho Tacos
No. 3, Lane 126, Yanji St.
MRT: Zhongxiao Dunhua Station, take exit 2 and turn right
tel: 02-2731-4489
hours: M-F 11:30am-3pm, 5-10pm; Sat 11:30am-10pm; Sun 11:30am-9pm
website: http://www.machotacos.com/index.html

Cheese David
No. 102, Kun Ming St.
MRT: Ximen
tel: 02-2311-1800
hours: 11:30am-10pm, Fri & Sat closes at 10:30pm
website: http://www.ximen.com.tw/store_2696_index.html (mostly in Chinese)

Wufenpu: this website gives you directions on how to get there

2 comments:

  1. you had wrong guess
    the truth is..."GREEN TEA"

    ReplyDelete
  2. you had wrong guess
    the truth is...GREEN TEA

    ReplyDelete