Sunday, November 10, 2013

totoro house

I love watching Studio Ghibli films but have never watched My Neighbor Totoro, despite its immense popularity in the states. Studio Ghibli movies are really popular in Japan and even though some movies came out when I was born, my students still know about them despite the films being 20+ years old. I finally watched My Neighbor Totoro while living here in Japan and discovered by chance that the house Satsuki & Mei lived in was replicated for the 2005 World Fair.


notice the broken pillar??
dad's study
bath tub - the smaller one is for cold water
kitchen
taken through the famous broken bucket
bus stop where satsuki first sees totoro!
The tour only lasts for 30 minutes and is split into two groups. One group goes into the house to look around while the other group explores the outside, then the groups switch. Pictures aren't allowed inside the house but I sneakily took some (yup I'm a badass :P), you can also take pictures of the rooms from outside the house. I really loved the house and all the details that went into the making of it. There were closets and drawers full of clothes, shoes, medicine and a mini desk filled with books and study materials. The clothes in the drawers are changed out according to the seasons - such attention to detail! I wish all the Studio Ghibli movie locations could be replicated so that I could visit them!!

Afterwards we grabbed some pancakes at Pancake House Hoi Hoi near Fujigaoka Train Station. There was such a long line for this place! I'm not a big fan of pancakes but all the cream made it delicious!

maple cream pancakes - 800 yen

The Details
Satsuki and Mei's House
Aichi Memorial Expo Park
Hours: 9:30am-4:00pm closed: Mondays
Admission fee: 500 yen for adults 250 yen for children
Access: Aichikyuhakukinenkoen Station - accessible by Linimo Line from Fujigaoka (Aichi) Station
The house is located around 20 minutes away from the train station by foot. There is also a free shuttle that goes around the park.
Website (Japanese only - tour times)
Tickets: Reserve online to ensure a spot and pay at Lawson's (Japanese only). Tickets on site are limited.

Pancake House Hoi Hoi

No comments:

Post a Comment